5 Tips you should know about concrete floors!
- The most important step when coating a floor is knowing how to prepare the concrete prior to application. Methods of preparation we use are shot-blast and diamond grinding. Homeowners may choose to use acid etching, however you need to take great care to neutralize and allow the floor dry properly.
- Do you know the moisture content of the concrete you are coating? Testing the concrete for moisture will help insure you do not have failure due to excessive moisture. This can be as simple as checking for condensation, performing a calcium chloride test or a relative humidity test. Rectifying moisture issues can be as easy as allowing the concrete to properly dry or the use of specialty coatings to mitigate moisture problems.
- Knowing how to properly repair cracks and joints. Cracks can be repaired using a rigid epoxy compound. Joints however are there to prevent cracks by allowing the concrete to move. Joints can be filled with various compounds that remain flexible and will not sacrifice a beautiful floor.
- Match your floor coating to suit your needs. Is your floor subjected to automobile or fork truck traffic? Are you using heavy machines or exposing the surface to harsh chemicals and solvents? There are coatings to meet any demand, be sure to pick the correct one and you will enjoy long lasting results.
- Last but not least, SAFETY. Make sure you are aware of how slippery a floor can be. No one wants a slip and fall but most are looking for a smooth, cleanable surface. There are several ways to achieve an anti-slip surface. Some coatings are simply less slippery than others. There are also several aggregates that can be introduced such as quartz sand, aluminum oxide and polypropylene. The aggregates add extra durability and come in varying sizes. When in doubt, apply a sample to see if it is appropriate for your use.